150th Library Anniversary, 150 Things to Do!
A sesquicentennial anniversary is no small feat. From now until the end of the year, the library will celebrate its extensive past and exciting future by highlighting programs that capture the essence of the library and its place in the community. We’re also rolling out, “150 Things to Do at the Library!” – scroll down for the first 25, and see if you’ve used the library to the fullest extent. Also, email [email protected] to let us know what things you love to do at the library!
May is for flowers, mothers, graduations, hopefully good weather and, here at the Belmont Public Library, the art of storytelling. 2106’s One Book One Belmont speakers Stephen McCauley and Anita Diamant return to discuss McCauley’s latest novel, My Ex-Life, and the writing process. We’ve also invited two-time World Marathon Champion Becca Pizzi to the library to tell her own story and read a few sports-related picture books. See below for more details, we hope you will join us at one of these special offerings to celebrate 150 years at the Belmont Public Library!
Stephen McCauley will discuss his latest novel, My Ex-Life, and the writing process with longtime writing group member and bestselling author, Anita Diamant. McCauley last spoke in Belmont when he introduced Anita at her 2016 One Book One Belmont talk on The Boston Girl.
My Ex-Life examines how we define home, family, and love. Can long-divorced couple David and Julie, who parted when David realized he was gay, reconnect and find the happiness that eluded them decades earlier? Be prepared to laugh, shed a few tears, and have thoughts of your own ex-life.
Seven marathons, seven continents, seven days, yes that means Antarctica too! You’ll have the chance to ask two time World Marathon Champion Becca Pizzi all about it and hear her read stories about good sportsmanship and working hard. Recommended for ages 5 and up.
150 Things to Do at the Library!
- Attend a Library Trustees Meeting
- Utilize our Low Vision Reader
- Help out with our Community Puzzle in the Ref. Room
- Find the portrait of the first Belmont librarian
- Visit the 1-of-a-kind Frankenstein collection
- Start your own book club using our pre-made kits
- Join the Library’s annual, all-ages Summer Reading program
- Practice speaking English at our English Conversation Circle
- Watch a movie and eat popcorn at movie club
- Watch our public service announcement and find out why the library is yours to discover
- Visit the wildlife that frequents the creek. We have otters, hawks, turkeys, and muskrats!
- Ask to see the completed Feasibility Study
- Read and relax in a comfortable easy chair
- Attend Sensory Storytime designed especially for those on the autism spectrum
- Use Wowbrary to stay on top of the newest books, music, and movies available
- Sign up for RB Digital (formerly Zinio) to read popular magazines on your device
- Get books delivered to you or loved ones who are housebound through Books on Wheels
- Check out Homework and Hot Chocolate for teens
- Ask our Director for a tour of the Library
- Visit the Belmont Historical Society in the Claflin Room
- Donate some books to the Friends of the Library
- Get to know your elected officials during office hours
- Sign up for our e-newsletter
- Download Libby, our one-tap reading app
- Reserve a museum pass to one of twenty museums and play spaces in the area